Information You Can Find in Our Guide:
Top Family-Friendly Car Features
Finding good family sedans, SUVs or minivans that will provide you and your children with plenty of space is crucial. This is especially important if you regularly transport sports equipment, pets, groceries and other bulky items. Some of the roomiest luxury sedans on the market can provide you, and as many as four other passengers, with plenty of room to breathe and stretch out. However, a car may not be spacious enough for larger households. In addition, many parents feel more comfortable transporting their children in larger vehicles, such as a big family SUV or minivan. As such, a sedan is often out of the question.
If roomy luxury cars sound like the best fit for you and your family, there are plenty of options available. However, the type of vehicle that you purchase for your family is not the only important factor to consider. Other components, such as a vehicle’s crash ratings, built-in safety components and technical capabilities, are just as important. To learn more about what makes a good family SUV, minivan or sedan, review the information below.
Information You Can Find in Our Guide:
The Best Luxury Family Car Features
Whether you wish to get a roomy small SUV or a large minivan, there are several important features that every family vehicle needs. These features can make the driving experience more enjoyable for everyone while providing you and your passengers with the safest and most comfortable ride. These features include:
- Extra storage space. There should be plenty of extra space in the vehicle for stowing away items and preventing them from flying around if you stop the vehicle abruptly or are involved in an accident. Whether you get a big family SUV or a sedan, your vehicle will need as much storage space as possible for transporting items like toys, diapers, lunchboxes, snacks, games and sports equipment. For instance, the most roomy minivan will often include built-in storage bins in the third seating row and additional storage space underneath the floor mats.
- Automatic sliding doors. This type of sliding door will open and close with the simple touch of a button, helping to simplify your life whenever your hands are full. Instead of having to manually open or close your sliding doors while carrying a child, diaper bag, or groceries, this feature allows you to do so by pressing a button on your vehicle’s key fob.
- Plenty of cup holders. A nice family SUV, sedan or minivan should feature plenty of built-in cup holders for securing a variety of beverages. Flexible cup holders are ideal, as they stretch to fit the size of the beverage item. Extra cup holders can also be used to store toys, pens, markers, snacks and other small items.
- Built-in entertainment systems. Another must-have feature in a family sedan or SUV is an entertainment system. Purchasing a vehicle that comes equipped with a built-in DVD player or television will entertain your children as you drive, helping you to relax and focus on the road.
- Flexible seating configurations. Seats that can be folded up or stowed away when they are not in use are perfect for families, especially if the vehicle is on the smaller side or does not have a lot of storage space. If you choose to purchase a car, the best family sports sedan for your needs will be one that allows you to fold down the seats to create additional storage space when necessary.
If you are looking for the best family sports sedan or minivan, many newer vehicle models feature additional conveniences such as built-in vacuum cleaners, hands-free liftgates, power window shades, onboard refrigerators and ultra-comfortable lounge seats. Before purchasing a new car, truck, SUV or minivan for your family, make sure that the vehicle contains as many of these family-friendly features as possible.
Which features should a great family SUV have?
The best family SUV is one that performs well on the road and provides you and your passengers with enough space. Additionally, it should include plenty of safety features, such as automatic emergency braking (AEB), lane departure warnings and blind spot detection. With blind spot detection, for instance, your vehicle will alert you of approaching vehicles or pedestrians that you may not see in your mirrors. Additionally, a small or large family SUV that has a rear-view camera will help to protect children and pets as you back out of driveways and parking spaces.
Whether you buy a large or small family SUV, the best vehicles for families will include the following:
- Two or three rows of seats, depending on the size of your family
- Plenty of cargo space
- All-wheel drive
- Advanced safety features
- Adaptive cruise control
- Compatibility with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Built-in entertainment systems
- Second- or third-row USB ports to charge devices
- Sunshades for rear windows
- Hands-free liftgates
When comparing vehicles, look for a best rated family SUV that has been named a “top safety pick” by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). These ratings will help you to make a more educated decision as you search for the safest SUV, minivan or sedan for your family.
The Best Minivan for Large Family Outings
The perfect minivan interior features many of the same characteristics as an SUV, but there are several notable differences between these two types of vehicles. A minivan is easier for most passengers to climb in and out of, making it a better choice for you if you have small children and regularly transport strollers, diaper bags and other heavier items. Additionally, the standard minivan features sliding doors, flexible seating arrangements and climate control settings for each separate row of seats.
Moreover, minivans are excellent for extended family trips, as these vehicles are typically more fuel efficient than SUVs. The van with most cargo space will offer plenty of room for storing luggage, toys, groceries, extra layers of clothing and other essential supplies for your family outing or weekend getaway. With this in mind, it is important to consider your family size and lifestyle when deciding on which vehicle to purchase.