How to Replace Your Utah Car Registration With Our Free Guide

As an independent and private company, we are proud to help our users learn about the benefit application process.

  • Get Free Information with Our Guide
  • Take our optional survey to receive, based on your answers, related offers from our partners!
  • Keep Updated with Curated Content

We Provide a Free Guide

Our FREE guide provides helpful information about the car registration process.

Clear & Simple
Free and easy
Get the Guide


Welcome to, your comprehensive resource for all your vehicle registration-related information. The guide we provide is completely FREE OF CHARGE. You can also find available related information in other official sites or local offices. You can download for for free our comprehensive guide and resources, which contains vital information in order to perform any DMV service.


About Replacing Car Registration in Utah

Discovering a stolen, damaged or lost car registration in Utah can be more than a minor inconvenience. Failing to replace your lost vehicle registration can result in being ticketed for driving without proper credentials. Fortunately, the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers easy replacement in person or by mail. In one transaction, you can order replacement cards, license plates and decals.

Utah DMV charges a duplicate registration fee to get a new copy of the replacement documents you need. Review the following sections for instructions on how to get a copy of registration materials in Utah, as well as what to do if your registration documents were stolen.

Replacing Lost Car Registration in Utah in Person

If you need to replace car registration documents that are damaged, stolen or lost, the quickest method is to appear in person at your nearest DOL office. You only need to bring basic vehicle identification documents, including one or more of the following:

  • Copy of your most recent registration
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • License plate number

Tell the DMV agent whether you need to replace a lost registration card, decals, license plates or all of these items. If you have a damaged DMV copy of registration, or a faded decal or license plate, you should surrender them to the DMV when you obtain your duplicate items.

Note: If your registration is about to expire and you do not need new plates, you may be able to apply for a vehicle registration renewal rather than replace your registration.

The cost for obtaining replacement documents will vary depending on what type of license plate you have and whether you need plates, decals or just a new registration document.

Make sure to bring payment for the duplicate car registration fees. Most DMV offices accept credit card, personal check, money order or cash. Checks and money orders should be made payable to the “Utah State Tax Commission.”

Find more instructions for renewing your registration in our free car registration guide.

Getting Utah Auto Registration Replacement by Mail

If it is inconvenient for you to request an auto registration replacement in person at a DMV office, you can submit your request by mail. However, note that this process will take longer than appearing in person, because you must wait for the DMV to mail your new documents to your address on file.

When replacing by mail, you must send in a copy of your registration certificate, a written request explaining which registration materials you need to replace and a check or money order for the exact fee amount, made payable to Utah State Tax Commission.

Your replacement car registration card, license plates or decals will be mailed within a few business days of being received.

Utah motorists may wonder, “Can you print your car registration online after mailing a replacement request?” Unfortunately, UT DMV does not provide a way to print a copy of registration online at this time. If you have not received your materials within two weeks, contact the UT DMV for a status update.

Should I file a police report for a stolen copy of registration?

If you need a replacement car registration because your documents, plates or decals were stolen, UT DMV recommends filing a police report with your local law enforcement agency. Although Utah law does not require drivers to report these thefts, doing so can protect you if the thief decides to use your registration in a fraudulent manner.

Download our free registration guide to learn about fees, documents, and other details for replacing your vehicle registration.