How to Replace Car Registration in Kansas

A damaged, stolen or lost car registration can cause more problems than you might realize. Failing to replace your damaged or lost vehicle registration can result in receiving a citation for driving without proper credentials. The Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) requires you to visit a local county tag office in person to get a replacement registration.

The DOR also requires payment of a small duplicate registration fee to get a new copy of your registration card, stickers or license plates. Download our free step-by-step guide for detailed instructions on getting a replacement registration quickly.

How to Replace a Lost Car Registration in Kansas in Person

If you need to replace car registration documents in Kansas, you must do so in person. Visit your local county tag office and bring:

  • A recent copy of registration, if you have it.
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • License plate number.
  • Proof of identity.
  • Proof of auto insurance.

If your DMV copy of registration is damaged so that portions of it cannot be read, or you have a damaged or faded license plate, you should turn them in to the county tag agent.