How to Change Your Name on Your Wisconsin Registration With Our Free Guide

As an independent and private company, we are proud to help our users learn about the benefit application process.

  • Get Free Information with Our Guide
  • Take our optional survey to receive, based on your answers, related offers from our partners!
  • Keep Updated with Curated Content

We Provide a Free Guide

Our FREE guide provides helpful information about the car registration process.

Clear & Simple
Free and easy
Get the Guide


Welcome to, your comprehensive resource for all your vehicle registration-related information. The guide we provide is completely FREE OF CHARGE. You can also find available related information in other official sites or local offices. You can download for for free our comprehensive guide and resources, which contains vital information in order to perform any DMV service.


About Changing Your Name on Your Wisconsin Registration

If you change your name due to marriage, divorce or adoption or other applicable reason, you must notify the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT). You must change name on car registration in Wisconsin along with other identification documents, such as your driver’s license or identification card, as soon as possible.

If you change the name on your driver’s license or ID card first, the department will automatically update your registration records as well. Therefore, you only need to complete this task once.

Once you change car registration information, you may want to obtain a duplicate credential that displays your new legal name. To do so, you must submit a request to the DMV and may need to pay a fee.

The Wisconsin DMV does not require you to purchase a replacement registration credential when your name changes. To learn more about the steps you must take to perform a name change on car registration in WI, review the information below.

Performing a Name Change on Car Registration in Wisconsin

To begin the process of changing name on car registration documents, you must first notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your new legal name. To do so, you must provide the SSA with valid proof of your name change, such as a certified copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree, and present a photo ID.

After changing your name with the SSA, you must wait at least one day before you can visit a Wisconsin DMV customer service center to change the name on your driver’s license. If you are also changing your address, there are additional steps you must complete.

To apply for a DMV name change in WI, you must complete some of the following steps:

  • Fill out an application.
  • Submit proof of identity and evidence of your legal change of name.
  • Pay the applicable fee.

During your visit, you must purchase a replacement driver’s license or identification card that displays your new name and surrender your old driver’s license or ID card. Next, the DMV will automatically change name on car registration and titling credentials.

Next Steps After a Name Change on Car Registration in Wisconsin

As part of your WI name change checklist, you must purchase a replacement driver’s license or identification card following your name change. However, the WisDOT does not require you to purchase a duplicate registration card that reflects your new name. When it is time to renew your car registration, you will receive a notice with your new name.

If you wish to purchase a replacement registration card after your name changes, you can submit your request in person or by mail. Download our free auto registration guide to get instructions on performing a name change.

By Mail

If you change auto registration information and want to obtain a registration document with your updated name, the easiest and cheapest option is by mail. The steps to request an updated document by mail include submitting certain documents to the WisDOT. There is no charge for mailed requests. Once the department processes your request, you will receive your replacement registration card in the mail.

In Person

Another way to perform a Wisconsin name change on registration is by visiting your local WisDOT customer service center. You must bring in proof of vehicle ownership and may need to present proof of identity. If you currently have a lien on the vehicle, the process may differ slightly. Unlike mailing your request, visiting the office in person to submit the request does come with a fee.

Download our helpful guide to find out more about obtaining replacement registration documents following a name change.