How to Change the Name on Your Colorado Registration With Our Free Guide

As an independent and private company, we are proud to help our users learn about the benefit application process.

  • Get Free Information with Our Guide
  • Take our optional survey to receive, based on your answers, related offers from our partners!
  • Keep Updated with Curated Content

We Provide a Free Guide

Our FREE guide provides helpful information about the car registration process.

Clear & Simple
Free and easy
Get the Guide


Welcome to, your comprehensive resource for all your vehicle registration-related information. The guide we provide is completely FREE OF CHARGE. You can also find available related information in other official sites or local offices. You can download for for free our comprehensive guide and resources, which contains vital information in order to perform any DMV service.


About Changing the Name on Your Colorado Registration

It is important to get a name change on car registration in Colorado as soon as possible after your legal name changes. Whether it is due to marriage, divorce, adoption or another type of legal process, you must change car registration information to reflect your new name.

Changing name on car registration in CO is necessary because your vehicle identification information should always be accurate and up to date. In fact, the Colorado Department of Revenue’s Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) sets time limits to submit a name change following significant life events.

Continue reading below to learn more about the name change process and find out what you will need to complete the process.

When a Colorado DMV Name Change is Required

Drivers must initiate a DMV name change in Colorado within 30 days of changing a name after marriage, divorce, civil union or separation. They must follow the same time guidelines for adoptions, gender reassignment or any other event that results in a court-ordered legal name change. As explained in the following section, you must complete certain steps to ensure that your driving record and registration record reflect your new name.

Note: If you need to change the address on your car registration, you must also notify the Colorado Department of Revenue within a certain period. However, the steps may differ.

Changing Your Name on Car Registration in Colorado

Before you change name on car registration documents, you must first submit your name change request to the Social Security Administration (SSA). This is because the division relies on the SSA to verify your new name. Therefore, you must complete that step first.

You must submit an application, provide certain documents and pay any applicable fees. Since you only have 30 days to update your name with the DMV, it is best to complete this process in person to avoid mail delays.

Download our informative guide for instructions on how to notify the SSA of your name change.

Once you have a new Social Security card bearing your new name or an official SSA letter confirming your name change, you can begin to change name on car registration documents in Colorado by visiting your county’s DMV Motor Vehicle Services office.

Note: Since the Colorado DMV has different offices dedicated to motor vehicle services and driver services, getting a DMV name change on your driver’s license or ID card will not automatically update your vehicle registration information. Each Colorado county chooses how to handle these processes, so learn your county’s preferences before making a trip to either type of DMV office.

Colorado Name Change Checklist of Acceptable Documents

Applying for a DMV name change can be a long and time-consuming process if you do not provide the correct documents to verify your new name. Refer to the following name change checklist to learn the DMV’s preferred documents. For name change purposes, you may need to submit some of the following documents:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Separation decree
  • Court order of name change

Download our free, helpful guide to get list of what you may need to change the name on your registration documents.