How to Change Your Name on Your Wisconsin Registration

If you change your name due to marriage, divorce or adoption or other applicable reason, you must notify the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT). You must change name on car registration in Wisconsin along with other identification documents, such as your driver’s license or identification card, as soon as possible.

If you change the name on your driver’s license or ID card first, the department will automatically update your registration records as well. Therefore, you only need to complete this task once.

Once you change car registration information, you may want to obtain a duplicate credential that displays your new legal name. To do so, you must submit a request to the DMV and may need to pay a fee.

The Wisconsin DMV does not require you to purchase a replacement registration credential when your name changes. To learn more about the steps you must take to perform a name change on car registration in WI, review the information below.

How to Perform a Name Change on Car Registration in Wisconsin

To begin the process of changing name on car registration documents, you must first notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your new legal name. To do so, you must provide the SSA with valid proof of your name change, such as a certified copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree, and present a photo ID.

After changing your name with the SSA, you must wait at least one day before you can visit a Wisconsin DMV customer service center to change the name on your driver’s license. If you are also changing your address, there are additional steps you must complete.

To apply for a DMV name change in WI, you must complete some of the following steps:

  • Fill out an application.
  • Submit proof of identity and evidence of your legal change of name.
  • Pay the applicable fee.