Name Change on Registration

Name Change on Registration

Many states require you to change then name on car registration materials as soon as possible after your legal name changes. While these requirements vary by state, you typically need to update this information with your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or another state agency that processes car registration requests.

If you need to change car registration information in the state where you live, you can typically do so in person or by mail. To learn more about performing a name change on car registration credentials and to find out which types of documents you may need to present when submitting your request, review the sections below.

When to Change Name on Car Registration Credentials

Performing a DMV name change is mandatory in some states if your legal name changes after marriage, divorce, adoption or court order and your new name differs from the information on your original vehicle registration.

In some states, you may be able to change the name on your registration materials before a divorce is finalized, as long as you can present proof of the pending divorce. However, these rules vary widely throughout the U.S. and the state where you live may not require you to make these types of corrections to your vehicle registration.

If you live in a state where changing the name on car registration materials is necessary after marriage, divorce or court order, you may need to submit these corrections to your local Department of Motor Vehicles within a specific amount of time.

In the state of Maryland, for instance, you must notify the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) within 30 days of the date on which you legally changed your name.

Your Name Change Checklist

Before changing the name on your car registration credentials, it is important to familiarize yourself with the different types of documents you may need to submit as part of your request.

Required documents may vary depending on the state where you live, but you will typically need to present valid proof of the name change. Acceptable proof may include the following:

  • Your updated driver’s license or identification card (displaying your new name)
  • Evidence of the name change, such as a certified copy of the marriage or divorce certificate