How to Change Your Address on Your Wisconsin Registration With Our Free Guide

As an independent and private company, we are proud to help our users learn about the benefit application process.

  • Get Free Information with Our Guide
  • Take our optional survey to receive, based on your answers, related offers from our partners!
  • Keep Updated with Curated Content

We Provide a Free Guide

Our FREE guide provides helpful information about the car registration process.

Clear & Simple
Free and easy
Get the Guide


Welcome to, your comprehensive resource for all your vehicle registration-related information. The guide we provide is completely FREE OF CHARGE. You can also find available related information in other official sites or local offices. You can download for for free our comprehensive guide and resources, which contains vital information in order to perform any DMV service.


About Changing Your Address on Your Wisconsin Registration

Applying for a Wisconsin DMV change of address is easy, as the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) regularly updates its database. Six times a year, the department receives a list of updated addresses from the United States Postal Services (USPS) and makes changes to its database as needed to ensure they have the right information on file.

As such, you can change car registration address information by applying for a change of address with the USPS, instead of WisDOT. After doing so, you will automatically update the information on your vehicle record as well.

While you do not need to submit a DMV change of address form to WisDOT whenever your mailing address changes, you do need to update your driving record within 10 days of changing your address.

To update the address on your driver’s license or identification card, you may submit your request online, by telephone or by mail. To learn more about performing an address change on car registration credentials, review the information below.

How can I change my car registration address in Wisconsin?

To perform a WI address change on registration credentials, you simply need to change your address with the USPS. WisDOT will then obtain your updated address information, eliminating the need to manually update your vehicle records whenever your mailing address changes. However, notifying WisDOT of a name change to update your registration is a different procedure.

Therefore, you can apply for a change of address online directly on the official USPS website without visiting a Wisconsin DMV branch or mailing an application to the division.

Download our helpful guide to find out what you may need to complete the process with USPS.

If you cannot change your USPS mailing address online, you may visit a local post office to submit your request in person. You must pay a nominal fee to verify your identity when submitting a request online, but there is no charge to change your address in person at a local post office. When submitting a change of address form, you must also be able to provide the following information:

  • Your full name and contact information
  • Your old and new addresses
  • The date on which your address will change
  • Whether you wish to forward your mail permanent or temporarily

After changing the address on your vehicle record, driver’s license, identification card, WisDOT does not send you a replacement credential that displays your new address. However, you can purchase a replacement registration card, driver’s license or state-issued ID if you wish to do so.

What happens if I do not change my car registration address in Wisconsin?

If you do not change auto registration address information or update your mailing address with the USPS whenever you move to a new home, you may not receive future correspondence from WisDOT and other government agencies.

For instance, you may not receive your annual registration renewal notice and other important updates from the DMV. Additionally, you may not receive new or replacement registration cards, stickers and license plates after ordering them.

To ensure that you will receive all future correspondence from the DMV and other government agencies, it is important to change your address with the USPS as soon as possible after your address changes. In most cases, you can file your official change of address application as early as 30 days before you move and up to 90 days after.

Performing a Wisconsin DMV Change of Address on Other Documents

In addition to changing car registration address information and updating your Wisconsin vehicle record, you must remember to update the address on your driver’s license or identification card. In most cases, you can update this information online, by phone or by mail.

While WisDOT does not recommend submitting your request by email, you may choose to email your request to the Department if you prefer.

Download our registration guide for instructions about completing the change of address.